The Gilman Scholarship is a program run by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs that provides scholarships to undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens and want to study or intern abroad.
Congressman Gilman was a strong advocate for international education and cultural exchange, and he recognized the importance of exposing young Americans to diverse perspectives and experiences. He believed that by providing opportunities for students to study and work abroad, they would develop a deeper understanding of the world and its complexities, and become better equipped to navigate the challenges of an increasingly interconnected global community.
In 2001, Congressman Gilman introduced legislation that established the Gilman International Scholarship Program, which was designed to provide scholarships to undergraduate students who might otherwise not have been able to afford to study abroad. Since then, the program has grown significantly, and today it is one of the largest and most respected scholarship programs for study abroad in the United States.
The Gilman Scholarship is administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE), a nonprofit organization that promotes educational exchange and development around the world. IIE manages the application and selection process, and works closely with universities, colleges, and study abroad organizations to ensure that the scholarship is available to a wide range of students.
Each year, the Gilman Scholarship awards hundreds of scholarships to students who wish to study or intern in countries around the world. The scholarship covers a significant portion of the costs associated with studying abroad, including tuition, housing, food, and travel expenses. In addition, recipients of the scholarship may also receive additional funds to cover the cost of language training, research, or professional development activities related to their studies.
Here is some information about the benefits, eligibility requirements, application process, and application deadlines for the Gilman Scholarship:
Benefits of Gilman scholarship.
The Gilman Scholarship offers several benefits to its recipients, including:
- Up to $5,000 in funding for studying or interning abroad, which can be used towards tuition, room and board, books, and other education-related expenses.
- A chance to gain valuable international experience and skills that can enhance their future career prospects.
- Opportunities to learn about different cultures and languages, and develop cross-cultural communication skills.
- Access to a network of past Gilman Scholars who can provide advice and support during and after the study abroad experience.
Eligibility Requirements for Gilman scholarship
To be eligible for the Gilman Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be an undergraduate student at an accredited institution in the United States.
- Have a valid passport or be able to obtain one before the start of their study abroad program.
- Be accepted into a study abroad program or internship that is at least four weeks long (28 days) and takes place in a country outside of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand.
- Demonstrate financial need according to the federal government’s guidelines.
- Meet any additional eligibility requirements established by the specific study abroad program or host university.
The application process for the Gilman Scholarship involves several steps:
- Review the eligibility requirements and make sure you qualify.
- Research study abroad programs or internships that align with your academic goals and interests.
- Complete the online application form, which includes providing personal information, academic history, and financial aid information.
- Submit a statement of purpose outlining your reasons for wanting to study or intern abroad, how it fits into your academic and career plans, and what you hope to achieve from the experience.
- Provide supporting documents such as transcripts, letters of recommendation, and proof of acceptance into a study abroad program or internship.
- Wait for notification of the selection committee’s decision on your application.
The Gilman Scholarship has two application cycles per year, with deadlines typically Thursday, January 4, 2024, at 11:59pm. It is important to check the official website for the most up-to-date information on application deadlines and to plan accordingly.
It is also worth noting that the Gilman Scholarship is competitive, so it is advisable to apply early and ensure that all materials are submitted well before the deadline.
The Gilman Scholarship is a highly sought-after award that recognizes the value of international education and cultural exchange. It provides students with the opportunity to broaden their horizons, develop new skills, and gain valuable insights into the world beyond their own communities.
For many students, the Gilman Scholarship represents a life-changing experience that sets them on a path of personal growth, intellectual discovery, and professional success. We say congratulation in advance.